top of page

Taking a Break from Your Studies

Colleges and universities are required to report to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on your enrollment status twice a year. If you are taking a break from studies, your academic leave must be approved by your academic advisor or graduate advisor.

  • On-campus and off-campus employment are not permitted should you become a part-time student, or take an academic break from your studies.

  • Your ability to qualify for a post-graduate work permit after you complete your studies may be affected as you are required to demonstrate that you have been studying continuously, on a full-time basis in Canada. Should you wish to apply for the postgraduate work permit, it will be at the discretion of an officer whether to grant you the permit.

  • It may be difficult for you to extend your study permit if you take a break from studies as you must demonstrate that you have been actively pursuing your studies. You will require proof that the academic leave has been approved by College / University, as well as any supporting documents such as a medical letter. An International Student Advisor can guide you further.

  • If you leave the country during your break, request a letter from your academic advisor or graduate advisor before re-entering Canada. The letter should state that you are eligible to return to your program of study at the end of your break.

  • Your study permit expires on the document’s expiry date or 90 days after you have completed your program of study, whichever comes first.

Working While on Unscheduled Break

If you decide to take an unscheduled break, you are no longer considered a full-time student; therefore, you are not authorized to work full-time or part-time during this time.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts

For more info call/Whatsapp Kanwarjit Lall (Member of CICC) at 
+1-778-683-3008 or email at:

Search By Tags
    bottom of page