top of page

Foreign Worker Program


Canada seeks foreign workers & professionals to fulfil its need of shortage. Work is a significant part of Canada’s immigration system. Some workers may need job letters, some may need Labour market Impact Assessment & some are totally exempted. There are some jobs in which no work permit is required.


Below is the list of professionals those who can work in Canada without work permit.


  • Athletes & coaches

  • Aviation accident and incident investigators

  • Business visitors

  • Civil aviation inspectors

  • Clergy

  • Convention organizers

  • Crew members

  • Emergency Service Provider

  • Examiners and evaluators

  • Expert witnesses and investigators

  • Family members of foreign representatives

  • Foreign government officers

  • Foreign representatives

  • Health care students

  • Judges, referees and similar officers

  • Military personnel

  • News reporters, film and media crews

  • Performing artists

  • Public Speakers

  • Students working off campus

  • Students working on campus


Programs with out Labour Market Impact Assessment

  • International Mobility Program

  • Workers covered under international agreements

  • People taking part in exchange programs

  • Spouses and common-law partner  of certain foreign students

  • Spouses and common-law partner  of certain skilled foreign workers

  • Workers who are eligible for work permit through a federal-provincial/territorial agreement

  • Workers nominated by a province or territory for permanent residence

  • People already working in Canada who have applied for permanent residence through the FSWP, FSTP or CEC.

  • Repair personnel for industrial and commercial equipment

  • Workers transferred within a company.

  • Researchers, guest lecturers, visiting professors.

  • Co-op students

  • Religious workers

  • Refugee claimants etc.


Business people can enter and work in Canada if they qualify under one of these agreements

  • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

  • Other Free Trade Agreements (FTAs)

  • General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)


All other workers need Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to work in Canada.


bottom of page