top of page

Study & Work in Canada


Canada is favourite destination of students with the best schooling systems in the world. From elementary school to university, language schools , vocational colleges accommodate students from all interests. Canada has 223 public and private universities, and 213 public colleges and institutes as per Council of Ministers of Education


To apply for study permits students need a letter of acceptance from designated learning institute (DLI). In Canada, post-secondary education is the responsibility of provincial and territorial governments, and in each province and territory there are laws and policies.


To study in Canada you need to have study permit which is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that allows a foreign national to study in Canada for a limited period of time. In some cases Temporary Resident visa is required.  A TRV may be required if you are a citizen of a country from which Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) requires TRVs for entry into Canada. Study permits have conditions attached to it, which you have to adhere to during the whole period of your permit.

After graduation, students can choose to stay in Canada to live and work under PGWPP. It helps students in gaining valuable work experience. Skilled work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class & other programs. A work permit under PGWPP is issued once in a life and  it could be up to maximum of three years.


Documents required for studying in Canada:


1) Proof of acceptance any school (primary or secondary), college, university or other educational institution in Canada


2) Proof of identity: A valid passport or travel document for you and each accompanying family member. Citizens of the United States do not need a passport. However, you must carry proper identification that proves your citizenship or permanent residence.


3) Proof of financial support: You must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who accompany you while you are in Canada.


  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;

  • proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution;

  • your bank statements for the past four months;

  • a bank draft in convertible currency;

  • proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees;

  • a letter from the person or institution providing you with money; and

  • proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.


The following table shows the minimum amounts that you will need.

For 2024, a single applicant will need to show they have CAN$20,635, in addition to their first year of tuition and travel costs. This change applies to new study permit applications received, on or after January 1, 2024.


Number of family members (including the study permit applicant)Funds required (in Canadian dollars)

1 - $20,635

2 - $25,690

3 - $31,583

4 - $38,346

5 - 43,492

6 - $49,051

7 - $54,611

If more than 7 people, for each additional family member$5,559

4) Letter of explanation:


Statement of Purpose should consist of the following:-

  • Applicant’s Background

  • Education & professional experience

  • Interest in the field chosen

  • Immediate and long term goals

  • Reasons for deciding to pursue education at a particular institution/country

  • Extracurricular activities and honors

  • What is special about the applicant?


It also showcases the unusual hardships or obstacles that an applicant had to overcome, unusual accomplishments, whether professional, personal or academic, skills and personal characteristics contributing to success in that field, what appeals to the applicant about the program/country and how does his/her strength and interest match the needs of the program.

5) Provincial Attestation letter is needed

6) If student is a minor (Custodian Declaration is needed)

bottom of page