top of page

Occupations that are regulated in all Canadian provinces. 


Occupations that are regulated either by the provinces or by professional associations are generally regulated because they have a responsibility either for public health or to protect consumers/clients. For this reason, educational and any additional requirements are clearly defined and licensure cannot be obtained unless requirements are clearly met.


  • Architects

  • Optometrists

  • Accountants

  • Pharmacists

  • Chiropractors

  • Doctors

  • Dentists

  • Physiotherapists

  • Dieticians/Nutritionists

  • Registered Nurses

  • Engineers

  • Teachers

  • Lawyers

  • Veterinarians

  • Occupational Therapists


International Qualifications:


More than a University Degree Qualifications = Credentials + Competencies + Experience 

  • Credentials assessment is the process of validating educational documents and providing a Canadian equivalency statement.

    • Every province outside the Atlantic region has a provincially mandated international credentials assessment service.

    • There is currently no international credentials service in the Atlantic region. However newcomers may send their documents for assessment to agencies in other provinces. The best source of information on international credentials assessment services is

  • If someone works in a regulated occupation, they should contact the regulatory body first to find out what they require for credentials assessment.

  • Credentials assessment can be helpful for employers to understand international education better but it is not generally required for employment.

  • A credentials assessment is required for immigration under certain federal programs. The assessment must be done by an agency designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


Most regulated occupations start with a credentials assessment, but also require an assessment of competencies. This process is called “Recognizing Prior Learning” or RPL.

  • Competency assessment may take the form of written examinations, oral examinations, skills assessments, language tests, competency interviews, supervised work periods or other methods.

  • Best practice competency assessment includes clearly identified competencies and an impartial process.

  • The method used to assess competencies may be a barrier in itself: 

    • The multiple choice exam format used for competency assessment in the skilled trades

    • The simulated examinations used for competency assessment in healthcare professions are an unfamiliar format for many internationally educated professionals.


Employment requirements among NOC occupations regulated in all Canadian provinces


  1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of architecture or Completion of the syllabus of studies from the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) is required.

  2. A master’s degree in architecture may be required.

  3. Completion of a three-year internship under the supervision of a registered architect is required. 

  4. Completion of the architect registration examination is required.

  5. Registration with the provincial association of architects in the province of work is required.


Landscape architect:

  1. A bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture is required.

  2. A master’s degree in landscape architecture may be required.

  3. In Ontario and British Columbia, landscape architects require a two-year internship and the successful completion of a provincial registration exam.

  4. In the remaining provinces and territories, landscape architects usually require two years of landscape design experience and an interview by their respective provincial associations to receive association certification.


  1. Chartered accountants require a university degree and completion of a professional training program approved by a provincial institute of chartered accountants and, depending on the province, either two years or 30 months of on-the-job training and membership in a provincial Institute of Chartered Accountants upon successful completion of the Uniform Evaluation (UFE).

  2. Certified general accountants and certified management accountants require a university degree and completion of a training program approved by the Society of Certified General Accountants or Society of Management Accountants and several years of on-the-job training and certification by the Certified General Accountants Association or the Society of Management Accountants.

  3. Auditors require education, training and recognition as indicated for chartered accountants, certified general accountants or certified management accountants and some experience as an accountant.

  4. Auditors may require recognition by the Institute of Internal Auditors.

  5. To act as a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings, auditors and accountants must hold a licence as a trustee in bankruptcy.

  6. Licensing by the provincial or territorial governing body is usually required for accountants and auditors practising public accounting.


Additional information:

  1. There is limited mobility among the three professional accounting designations (CA, CGA and CMA). 

  2. Progression to auditing or accounting management positions is possible with experience


  1. A minimum of two years of university undergraduate studies in sciences and completion of a four- or five-year program at an institution accredited by the Accreditation Commission of the Council on Chiropractic Education and completion of the examinations of the Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board and of the provincial licensing body are required.

  2. Licensure by a regulatory body is required in all provinces and in the Yukon


  1. One to four years of pre-dentistry university studies, or, in Quebec, completion of a college program in sciences and a university degree from a recognized dental program are required.

  2. Licensing by a provincial or territorial regulatory body is required.

  3. Dentists in general practice can move into a specialized practice through advanced training.

  4. Licensing for specializations is required.


  1. Dieticians require a master’s or bachelor’s degree in dietetics, nutrition or a related field such as food and nutritional science or biochemistry and approximately 40 weeks of supervised practicum training. Registration with a regulatory body is required in all provinces for dieticians.

  2. Membership in the national association, Dieticians of Canada, may be required for dieticians to practise.

  3. Nutritionists usually require the same education and training as dieticians.

  4. Registration with a regulatory body is required for nutritionists in British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec and (as a registered dietician-nutritionist) New Brunswick.

  5. Membership with the national association, Dieticians of Canada, and/or a provincial regulatory body is available for nutritionists who have the same education and practicum training as dieticians.

1 / 3

Please reload

bottom of page