Spouse or common-law partner of Foreign Students can work in Canada

July 5, 2016

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student at:

    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec

    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or

    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees

  • you have a valid study permit

Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.


Note: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

Please reload

Featured Posts