top of page

If you want to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada as a Worker.

The temporary foreign workers program or TFWP is a program of Government of Canada to allow employers in Canada to hire foreign nationals to fill temporary labour and skill shortages when qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not available. This program started in 1973.

Employers might get a qualified foreign worker already in Canada , who has already completed contract with another employer or foreign national holding an open work permit. Foreign workers are hired for short term labour need and after working for certain period they can transition to permanent residence if they meet certain requirements. Permanent residence can be filed under Canadian experience class or Provincial Nominee Program.

TFWP is jointly managed by HRSDC(Service Canada) and CIC (IRCC). Employers often require LMIA to hire foreign workers. Some jobs do not require HRSDC authorization in order to hire foreign national due to an international trade agreement , such as NAFTA or some professional like: athletes, coaches , judges etc.

The employer is responsible for arranging the employee’s Worker’s compensation benefits and medical coverage and ensuring that the conditions and time limits on work permit are respected.

Today we will discuss about the how workers can change conditions or extend their stay in Canada.

  1. If you want to change length, employer or occupation , you must apply and obtain a new work permit. You should apply before making the change. For any permit, you should always apply at least 30 days before your status expires. Still it is recommended to apply atleast 90 days before your status expires.

  2. If you have lost your status, you may have committed and offence under the IRPA and could be subject to and admissibility hearing that could lead to your removal from Canada. If your temporary resident status expired and you wish to stay in Canada, you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your permit expiry date or you must leave Canada.

  3. For applicants who require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada: The renewal of a study or work permit does not affect your TRV. It is your responsibility to ensure your TRV remains valid if you wish to leave and re-enter Canada.

  4. For applicants who require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada: The renewal of a study or work permit does not affect your eTA. It is your responsibility to ensure your eTA remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada.

  5. If you are travelling outside of Canada when you applied to extend your work permit , you can leave and come back. Any of the following may occur: (The decision is still in the hands if the officer at the port of entry), it is recommended you carry all your proofs while travelling.

  6. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a visitor.

  7. You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker.

  8. You may be asked to apply for new work permit at the port of entry.

To know about the eligibility and other options: please feel free to contact me at: or or call at: +1-778-865-3008


Featured Posts
Recent Posts

For more info call/Whatsapp Kanwarjit Lall (Member of CICC) at 
+1-778-683-3008 or email at:

Search By Tags
    bottom of page