10 Proposed Liberal Reforms to Canada’s Immigration System
1. Double the number of immigration applications allowed for parents and grand-parents sponsorship from 5,000 to 10,000 visas per year.
2. Double the budget for processing family class immigration applications to reduce wait times
3. Increase points allocation to applicants who have siblings in Canada on their Express Entry application
4. Lift the visa requirement for Mexican travel to Canada.
5. Eliminate the $1000 Labour Market Impact Assessment fee for families seeking caregivers to care for family members with physical or mental disabilities.
6. Restoring free access to healthcare for refugee/asylum seekers pending a decision on their case by the government.
7. They have pledged to make it easier for international students to achieve Canadian Citizenship. The exact details are not specified, but they have stated they will do this by making adjustments to the Canadian Experience Class program that will ‘remove barriers’ to international students.
8. Restore the Canadian Citizenship residency time credit for international students in Canada.
9. Bypass the two year wait period for “conditional permanent residence” for spouses of sponsored individuals.
10. Restore the maximum age for dependents from 19 to 22, making it easier for immigrants to bring their older children to Canada.